Lady Windsor Colliery

Situated in Ynysybwl this colliery was opened in 1886 by Plymouth Estates, later to become Ocean & United National Collieries Ltd.

The Shafts No. 1 and 2 each 689 yards deep.

From the Inspector of Mines list 1896, there were 1141 men emplyed here.

From a report 1923, there were 1057 employed working the four, six and nine feet seams.

The pithead baths opened 26th January 1931.

By 1945 there were 1153 employed.

During 1964 a £4 million re-organisation put in a new pit bottom area, trunk conveyers and a diesel loco haulage system.

In March 1975 it was linked underground to Abercynon colliery ( situated on the other side of the mountain) to form a single producing unit at a cost of £450,000. At this time 1150 men were producing 318,000 tons yearly Six Feet, Lower Nine Feet and Seven Feet seams.

The Coal was raised at the Lady Windsor end of the unit at a depth of 687 yards.

The Lady Windsor Colliery closed in 1988.

Above information from www.welshcoalmines.co.uk

Photos below thanks to Pat Parker